1. Getting Started – Basic/general course:
Learning the basics of advising (philosophy, strategies, knowledge, etc.) with hands-on practice. [course details]
5. Becoming an Autonomous Teacher Leader:
Learn to become a leader and implement effective change in your institution
1. Getting Started (Basic course): What it means to be an advisor
√ Learn foundational theories of Advising in Language Learning.
√ Practice a wide range of advising strategies through hands-on practice.
√ Understand the key roles of advisors.
√ Learn and practice the key advising strategies linked with the beginning, middle, and end phase of advising.
Delivery format: Live workshops, online discussions, presentations, recorded lectures (23 hours in total including online work). Read details…
√ Learn basic advising strategies and when to use them.
√ Learn how to apply the basics to real cases.
√ Become aware of how advisors are able to induce ‘aha’ moments in sessions.
√ Understand how advisors deal with learners’ emotions.
√ Experience the process of going into a deep reflection through dialogue.
* Delivery form: The course is provided as in-person workshops, online-sessions, recorded lectures, online-discussions, and presentations (23 hours in total including online work).
√ Learn a wider range of advising strategies by focusing on viewpoint switching and positive thinking approaches.
√ Experience an ’aha’ moment in a session by conducting peer-advising.
√ Reflect on and analyze recorded peer advising sessions.
√ Become aware of how advisors can guide learners’ awareness into action.
* Delivery form: In-person workshops, online sessions, recorded lectures, online-discussions, presentations (23 hours in total including online work and peer advising sessions).
√ Understand how advisors support learners who are highly aware and autonomous.
√ Learn how to increase students’ sense of achievement and engage them in long-term reflection.
√ Gain confidence as an advisor by reflecting on yourself as a professional and as a person.
√ Participate in a mentoring program as a mentee.
√ Learn how to be a mentor and become a mentor to other advisors.
* Delivery form: In-person workshops, online sessions, online-discussions, recorded videos, presentations (23 hours in total including online work and mentoring sessions).
√ Learn to become a leader
√ Envision, develop and implement change in your community.
√ Develop the skills and foresight to know what needs to be done.
√ Implement an innovation, such as an advisor education program in your context
* Delivery form: In-person workshops, online sessions, online-discussions, recorded videos, presentations (23 hours in total including online work and mentoring sessions). Note: This courses is also available as a longer, stand-alone course. Details here..
Course 1: Getting started. May 3 – May 17, 2020, 23 hours, 3 weeks (full and no longer accepting applicants). Offered as a credit course (with additional required assignment) from the Kanda University Graduate School for MA TESOL program students, or a stand-alone course for other participants (Certificate of Completion issued by the Graduate School of Language Sciences). More details...