Purpose: A quick measure of language proficiency
Short description: A free proficiency listening / reading proficiency test created by Education First. There is a short (15 minute) free test and longer (50 minute and 120 minute) paid tests. The results are aligned with CEFR.
The online test has two sections – one listening and one reading. You will have up to 7 minutes and 30 seconds to complete each section.
The frog was __ from stone to stone.
What is the best response to Speaker 1?
Yes please, one sugar.
No thanks, I’ve eaten.
I didn’t make one yet.
I would like breakfast.
Paid or free: Free (but a paid version gives more options)
Commissioned report states that “EFSET PLUS scores are highly reliable across the entire score scale”. https://www.efset.org/research/
- Tutoring center
- Self-access learning center
- Learning advisor
Type of measurement: Online test
- Pre- and post- test evaluation of an intervention
Ease of implementation: Easy. 52 items, est. 50 min.
- Easy to answer, administer, and score
- Minimal time commitment
- Can be run multiple time (there is a bank of questions)
- It generates a CEFR score and certificate
- Raw data is not accessible
- Only tests reading and listening
Studies this has been used in:
Used by Harvard Graduate School of Education for research